One in ten people think of suicide!
Know how to intervene
Preface by Prof. Pierre CÜER
Coordinator of European and international university training in Bioethics and president of the European network "Medicine, Ethics and Human Rights".
The book consists of 3 parts:
- The first part consists of short life stories to help understand and prevent risky situations.
- The second part contains 10 practical factsheets showing the warning signs of suicide.
- The third part describes in detail suicide prevention in CANADA
Prevent suicide, know how to intervene
The best way to prevent suicides is first and foremost to detect risky situations. Through 51 real-life stories in industrialized countries and 10 fact sheets, learn how:
- detect risk situations;
- decipher the calls for help;
- prevent the suicide of a loved one, teenager, child, adult or elderly person;
- simple gestures can make a difference;
- to prevent suicide;
- to survive this terrible ordeal;
- overcoming your guilt;
- Inspire you with Canadian methods of prevention;
- find the help you need.
The goal of this book is to deliver as many keys as possible so that everyone can avoid suicide.
Viviane Janouin-Benanti took advantage of a 7-month stay in Canada and the USA to compare suicide prevention cases and methods in Europe and the New World.
Table of Contents
|Preface: Prof. Pierre Cüer 11||Disappearance 113|
|Introduction 15||Forced retirement 115|
|The fat one 17||Revenge 119|
|Loss 23||Cancer 121|
|This abandoned father 29||Our infirmity 125|
|The bad seed 33||Shame 129|
|Violence 37||Return to ordinary life 133|
|The boycott 41||Bullying 134|
|Far from the dream 45||Back to basics 136|
|Bikini 47||I'll surprise you all 139|
|Exceeded 51||Burial of a human being 142|
|This past that haunts you 54||Imitation 145|
|Grief of sight 57||The rupture 148|
|Rape 61||Child Despair 151|
|Indifference 65||Dying together 155|
|Bachelor's degree or death 68||Prince Charming 157|
|Everything is better so 73||Round-trip 161|
|The instrument of divorce 78||Fortune-telling 165|
|Absolute love 81||Cowardice 171|
|Expectation 85||The pact of not-forgotten 175|
|Cosmic Sects 89||Denial 178|
|Bankruptcy 91||Suicide in U.S. 179|
|The race against time 95||Collective suicides are not new 181|
|Life imprisonment 98||Conclusion 185|
|Guilt 99||Suicide Prevention in Canada 185|
|Hostage 101||Useful addresses and telephone numbers 193|
|The tattoo 103|
Practical information sheets such as:
- Situations at risk of suicide
- Warning signs of adolescent suicide
- The warning signs of an elderly person's suicide